(image source: reddit.com)
Going through the original version of World of Warcraft is quite a challenge — 17 years back, quests weren’t so easy and the game punished you for mistakes much more. But in the end, among other things, that’s what fans loved the Azeroth for! In this guide, we’ll help you through Blizzard’s cruel world by discussing one of the more helpful add-ons (Questie) and showing you how to install it. Let’s get started!
What are add-ons in WoW Classic?
When Blizzard released the original version of World of Warcraft, many players found the gameplay too difficult and accused the creators of failing to improve some games’ features. WoW developers decided to solve this problem with add-ons, i.e., extensions that are supposed to make gameplay easier or more comfortable.
There are several sites where you can download add-ons for World of Warcraft, the most popular one is curseforge.com, with over 8,500 add-ons available.
Why should you use the Questie add-on?
In World of Warcraft: Classic, we don’t have any markers indicating where our quest objective is. If the player didn’t know the world of Azeroth, he had to look for a place where he could complete the quest on his own. This had its advantages — it made players contact each other, ask questions about where and how to complete a quest, which contributed to the formation of the first guilds and forums.
Nevertheless, for many players (especially new ones) the lack of such a marker could be very inconvenient. The Questie add-on solves this problem; after installing it, all places related to your quest in will be highlighted on the map like this:
(image source: addonswow.com)
How to install Questie?
Now that we know how useful the Questie add-on can be for us, let’s look at the installation process. The methods we’ll show you will also work for all other World of Warcraft: Classic add-ons.
- Download the Questie add-on (you can find it here)
- Unzip the downloaded file
- Open your World of Warcraft game folder (C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft)
- In the “_classic_” folder, go to “Interface” and then to “AddOns”
- Copy the “Questie” folder from the unzipped file into the “AddOns” folder
- Done! Your add-on should now appear in the game.
Installation using CurseForge
This method requires fewer clicks and is simply more convenient. To perform this process, you’ll need the Overwolf software, which you can download here.
- Download and install the CurseForge app (go here for more info)
- Open the CurseForge app through Overwolf
- You’ll see a list of all games for which you can download mods and add-ons. Select “World of Warcraft”
- Select “Get More Addons” and type “Questie” in the add-ons search bar.
- Press the “Install” button, and you’re done. The add-on should now appear in the game.
How to manage add-ons?
At the server login screen, you can find a “AddOns” button in the lower-left corner between “Menu” and “Shop”. By clicking it, we can manage all add-ons — enable, disable, and check the currently installed version.
(image source: reddit.com)
Other useful WoW Classic add-ons
Now we’ll introduce you to other popular add-ons that will make your gameplay experience a lot more convenient.
- Real Mob Health — A modification that allows you to check the exact health total of other characters in the game.
- Details! Damage Meter Classic WoW — Add-on giving access to damage output statistics for you and your guild.
- Combuctor (classic Bagnon) — Combines content from all inventory into one inventory, resulting in much more screen space.
- Better Vendor Price — This add-on displays information about the value of the items you own and the potential value of a full stack.
- Classic Castbars — This allows you to see how long it will take your opponent to perform a specific spell, so you can prepare a counter or block.
It’s pretty funny how unintuitive the lack of some features in a game like WoW can seem. After reading this guide, completing quests in World of Warcraft: Classic should be much easier and more enjoyable. We wish you the best of luck in conquering the world of Azeroth!